Serves – 8
Hands On Time – 20 Minutes
Total Time – 4 hours and 15 minutes
- 4 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- Kosher Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound dried navy beans, soaked in water overnight and
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- Heat oven to 300°F. Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until nearly crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occassionally, until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Add the beans, molasses, ketchup, mustard, and 5 cups water to the put and stir to combine; bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Bake until the liquid is reduced by half, about 2 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake, stirring once, until the cooking liquid is thickened, 1 to 1 1/4 hours more. Stir in the vinegar and serve.